November 15, 2007

GAH!!

Instead of regaling y'all with tall tales of my misadventures I'll show you this:

Method 1 Excedances for VOCs - one or more of:

1,1-dichloroethane, 1,2,4-trichlorobenzene, 1,2-dichlorobenzene, 1,3-dichlorobenzene, 1,4-dichlorobenzene, 2-butanone (MEK), acetone, benzene, bromomethane, chlorobenzene, ethyl benzene, naphthalene[1], toluene, trans-1,2-dichloroetene, trichloroethene, xylene, [1,1,1,2-tetrachloroethane, 1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethane, 1,1,2-trichloroethene, 1,1-dichloroethene, 1,2-dichloroethane, 1,2-dichloropropane, bromodichloromethane, bromoform, carbon tetrachloride, chloroform, cis-1,2-dichloroethene, dibromochloromethane, dichloromethane, ethylene dibromide, hexachlorobutadiene, methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK), styrene, tetrachloroethene, vinyl chloride]*

* ½ detection limit exceeds standard

[1] 1,2,4 trichlorobenzene, 1,2,3 trichlorobenzene, naphthalene, and several other SVOCs are all standard analytes under the EPA VOC Method 8260b. Although both EPA Method 8260b and EPA Method 8270c report valid results for these chemicals, they are discussed as VOCs in this report to avoid redundancy.

When I'm not in the business of regaling, the above is what I write. I bet you all want to dust off your resumes and get a job doing what I do for slowly killing my soul a living.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking you have one of those jobs that I would never understand.

dive said...

That gave me a stiffy, Fresh.

Scout said...

"gah" is right. I glazed over just looking at it. My daughter is a chemistry major, though, and she would probably jump up and down and get all excited--not similar to Dive's reaction, though. ew

dive said...

Hehehehehe …

Full said...

Shit, someone who speaks the "language of solvents & activators"

I love styrene, it's way better than coffee in the mornings but where is the toluene.

Volatile organic compounds have become a royal pain in the arse for me over the last couple of years.

Fear not Fresh, I sympathise.

Andraste said...

Ummmmmm...wha?

Fresh Hell said...

Laughy Kate~ Most of the time I don’t understand it either.

Dive~ I once dated a guy who would get a stiffy when I would whisper explanations of geological features and phenomenon in his ear. He was really in to smart chicks.

Scout~ So your daughter is a geek. It’s a rare breed that can get all cranked up over chlorinated solvents, but I can totally understand it . . . that is, when my reaction isn’t exactly as yours is. I’m so conflicted.

Full~ I had a feeling you’d be familiar with at least some of those animals. VOCs present a world of hurt to industry types who are just trying to get a product off the line. The regulations governing them are ever more astringent and tedious. It’s amazing that anything can get done. And it’s not so amazing that more and more manufacturing is being conducted in countries where environmental and health and safety issues are secondary to getting the product out.

None the less, the reports read like a migraine.

Andraste~ That’s how I feel most days. And they pay me for it. Weird.